Automated Waste Services Coming Spring 2022
Waste Management’s automated waste service is scheduled to begin in the Spring of 2022. Informational packets will be delivered to Universal City residents which contain brochures and documents regarding the new automated trash/recycling collection program and brush services. It is highly suggested that time is taken to familiarize oneself with the information contained therein. While you are waiting for your informational packet to arrive, here are some of the key items residents should know:
- CART DELIVERY During March 2022, Waste Management (WM) provided poly carts (96-gallon wheeled totes which is equivalent to 5 bags of trash) to each residence for trash and recycling services. From the day of delivery forward, WM will only pick up the WM provided trash carts.
- SERVICE SCHEDULE The number of service days and the actual pick up days for trash and recycling will remain the same. The WM provided trash and recycling carts must be curbside by 7:00 AM on your service days.
- OLD TRASH CAN DISPOSAL Once the WM provided poly carts are received, residents can put their old, empty recycle bins and trash cans in their new WM provided trash cart or turn them upside down at the curb AND MARK THEM AS TRASH. If appropriately empty and marked, WM will remove old cans and bins for you. WM will not pick up resident provided cans if they have trash in them; please ensure that they are EMPTY AND MARKED AS TRASH. Any old trash/recycling cans and bins that contain materials, are not turned upside down, or marked as trash will not be picked up.
- ALLEY SERVICE Only residents with a paved alley AND a rear entry garage will receive alley pick up trash services. All other service will be curbside. Your informational packet delivered to your front door will indicate whether you will receive alley pick-up or curbside pick-up.
- ADDITIONAL CARTS Residents can sign-up for an additional poly cart for a nominal monthly fee at the Utility Administration window at 2150 Universal City Blvd, M-F, 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM. After the order has been processed, WM will deliver the additional poly cart in approximate 7 to 12 days. All carts come in a 96-gallon capacity.
- PINK TAGS Residents who have occasional excessive trash and yard waste can purchase pink tags at City Hall which allows for the extra bags to be picked up by WM. One pink tag per bag; cannot be used for bulky items such as mattresses, furniture, etc. or hazardous waste.
- BRUSH PICK-UP The monthly brush pickup at the curb has been discontinued. Brush pick-up will occur four times per year so residents can plan accordingly:
- March 28-April 2, April 25-April 30, October 24-29, November 28-December 3
- Brush pick-up is limited to 6 cubic yards; trees trimmed by a tree service company will not be picked up. The tree trimmers should dispose of whatever they cut for you. Leaves should be bagged and weigh no more than thirty-five (35) pounds per bag. Small trimmings and grass clippings can also go in the twice weekly trash carts year-round.
- Brush chipping services by the Public Works Department will continue. This service has size and time limitations so call before you cut.
Get alerts and reminders when the new trash carts and trash service is coming to you! Sign-up for the City’s mass communications system Blackboard Connect. Residents can choose to receive reminders by landline, cellphone, text, or email.